Spotlight on FRC Programs
Announcements: YOUR CHILD MAY BE ELIGIBLE FOR FREE OR REDUCED LUNCH! If so, you must fill out and submit an application immediately, even if your child received free lunch last year. If you need an application or help filling one out, please call 845-353-7291.
English/Spanish Storyhour for 2's, 3's, and 4's Cuentos, Canciones Y Artesania
Stories, songs, crafts and pizza! Held in Nyack Library Children's Room: November 5, 12, 19, 26 from 6-7pm. Call 914-260-2880 to register.Valley Cottage Family Resource Center
NEW Girl's Circle for 5th grade starting Tuesday, March 6th!
GIRL'S CIRCLE is a FREE, nationally-recognized program that promotes strength and resilience in girls and young women. To sign your daughter up, contact Miss Julie (FRC) at 845-353-7291 or firstname.lastname@example.org.Valley Cottage Family Resource Center
Nyack FRC's present PARENTING WORKSHOP SERIES
Not to be missed! The fabulous Evelyn Bautista-Miller facilitates this wonderful series exploring important parenting issues and challenges. See flyer for dates and times.Valley Cottage Family Resource Center
WELCOME! BIENVENIDOS! BIENVENUE!
The Family Resource Center (FRC) is here for ALL families. Please stop by or call if you have any questions or concerns: 845-353-7291Valley Cottage Family Resource Center
Your Child May Be Eligible for Free or Reduced Lunch!
If so, you must fill out and submit an application immediately, even if your child received free lunch last year. Just call or stop by for assistance.Valley Cottage Family Resource Center
Jessica Misla, Coordinator
Phone: (845) 353-7291
Hours: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday: 8:30 am - 2:30 pm
Tuesday: 9:30 am - 3:30 pm
WELCOME TO THE VCE FAMILY RESOURCE CENTER
Please feel free to call the Family Resource Center if you have any questions, concerns or would like community resource information.
Parent involvement in school has been shown to be an important factor in academic success. The Valley Cottage Elementary School Family Resource Center offers many programs and services for children and families. We invite you to stop in anytime!
- Preschool Story Hours
- Free Books
- 5th grade Girl's Circle/Boy's Council
- Parenting workshops
- Give and Take Books
- Family Fun evening programs
- Drop in Support
- Connections to school and community resources
- Health and Wellness programs and information
- Kindergarten readiness programs
Greetings from the new Family Resource Center Coordinator!
To all Valley Cottage Elementary families,
I am very excited and pleased to announce that I am the new Family Resource Center Coordinator here at Valley Cottage Elementary School. I am looking forward to working with all of the students and families as I know how important and beneficial community outreach and support can be for academic success. It is a privilege to be part of the Family Resource Center and to be able to add my skills and background as a Spanish teacher to the success of such an amazing program.
I look forward to meeting you all at Parent Teacher Conferences if possible. Please do not hesitate to stop in anytime to say hello or contact me by email or phone.
A todas las familias de Valley Cottage,
Estoy muy emocionada de anunciar que soy la nueva Coordinadora del Centro de Recursos para Familias aquí en la Escuela Primaria de Valley Cottage. Espero trabajar con todos los estudiantes y sus familias, ya que sé lo importante y beneficioso que puede ser el apoyo y la ayuda comunitaria para el éxito académico. Es un privilegio ser parte del Centro de Recursos de Familia y poder añadir mis experiencias y antecedentes como profesora de español al éxito de un programa tan increíble.
Espero conocerlos a todos en las Conferencias de Padres y Maestros si es posible. Por favor, no dude en visitarnos en cualquier momento o contactarme por correo electrónico o por teléfono.
DONATION STATION is a service provided by all Nyack Family Resource Centers to help families with specific items in times of great need or crisis. For example: school supplies, clothing, book bags, and furniture.
This project is aimed at matching specific needs anonymously.
The way it works is this: when the Family Resource Center hears about a child or family needing something, it will send out an email to all parents who have volunteered to be on this list. Whoever has the needed item, will hit “reply all” and let everyone know that they’ve got it covered and bring in the item to the Center.
Please feel free to contact the Center if you either need donations or if you would like to be on the list. Please email me at email@example.com
Jessica Misla: Coordinator - Telephone (845) 353-7291
email: - firstname.lastname@example.org
Estación de Donación es un servicio provisto por todos los Centros de Recursos Para Familias de Nyack para ayudar a las familias con artículos específicos de forma anónima en momentos de gran necesidad o crisis. Por ejemplo: materiales escolares, ropa, mochilas y muebles.
La forma en que funciona es la siguiente: cuando el Centro de recursos de la familia se entere de un niño o una familia que necesitan algo, enviará un mensaje de correo electrónico a todos los padres que se han ofrecido como voluntarios para estar en esta lista. Quien tiene el elemento necesario, hace clic en "responder a todos" e informará a todos que lo tienen cubierto y lo llevará al Centro.
No dude en ponerse en contacto con el Centro si necesita donaciones o si desea estar en la lista. Por favor envíeme un correo electrónico a email@example.com
Jessica Misla: Coordinadora (845) 353-7291
How FRCs Help Families
- Advocacy and Support
- Information about community resources including summer camps, support groups, health insurance, and much more.
- Translation services
- Free books, available at all times outside FRC.
- Informal Drop-in time for parents and children
- Info and Referral
How Families Help Families
Some of the ways you can help:
- At the beginning of the school year, purchase an extra backpack and school supplies for a student in need.
- Holidays: Instead of giving baskets of canned foods, our goal is to give families the opportunity to make their own food choices. To this end, we collect monetary donations in lieu of food. The donations will be used to purchase supermarket gift cards.
For School Age Students:
- Girl's Circle and Boy's Council: A resilience building workshop to help students to express themselves through verbal sharing and activities. Designed to promote students' natural strengths and abilities and create opportunities for the development of strong, healthy relationships.
- 5th Grade Puberty Talk: An opportunity for students to learn about body changes during puberty and to ask questions in a safe, comfortable environment. Facilitated by FRC staff and teachers.
- Lunchtime Drop In: Some students go through periods when they need extra support. They can come to the FRC to spend a little time with FRC staff, talking, drawing, helping with FRC projects.
Family Support Programs:
- Holiday Giving: A coordinated effort to raise funds for families in need at VCE.
- Coffee and Kleenex: First couple of days of school, Kindergarten parents can meet, have coffee, ask questions and cry on someone's shoulder if necessary.
- Parent Drop In: Parents are welcome to stop in to the FRC with questions, problems, needing referrals or just to talk.
Family and Community Engagement:
- Welcome Night: An opportunity for families to meet with Principals, Superintendent, FRC Coordinators, and other staff! Lots of great resource info, pizza, childcare, and translators available. Co-sponsored with Nyack Center.
- Back to School Night for ENL families: An hour long session before the school-wide Back to School night to go over important topics related to ENL families and including important school topics. - in spanish and creole
- Fuel Up to Play 60: Annual Health Fair with activities, resources and healthy snacks
Early Childhood Development Programs
- Cuentos, Canciones y Artesania: A collaboration with Nyack Library, we offer stories, songs, arts and crafts in both English and Spanish. Held at the Nyack Library Tuesdays from 1-2:30pm from September 20th - November 9th.
- Kinderprep: An evening of dinner and typical Kindergarten activities for incoming Kindergartners and their families.
- UPK Info Session: Held in February, this is an opportunity for parents to learn about Universal Pre K and how to apply for it.
Meals in Nyack For Those In Need: http://www.nyackhunger.com/meals-served-for-those-in-need-in-nyack.html
United Way Hudson Valley Regional 2-1-1 Information & Referral Services: http://rocklandgov.com/departments/social-services/information-and-referral
- The Rockland 21C is a non-profit organization, founded in 1996, that provides best practices, professional development and FRC coordinator support and training. The Rockland 21C supports FRC programs in Rockland’s eight school districts, Rockland BOCES, teacher centers, colleges, government and business leaders, as well as numerous public and private agencies. The Rockland 21C is the very first organization in the nation to develop a county-wide 21C model.
NYACK FRCS MAKE A DIFFERENCE
- The results of a 2016 United Way focus group on growing and emerging needs in education, income and health in Rockland County identified the Family Resource Center as a SOLUTION to the barriers that prevent Rockland County residents from having their needs met and/or accessing existing services!
- Nyack FRCs rank 1st in the county with the number of basic needs and social service requests answered, reflecting the strong relationships they have built with the community.
- Nyack FRCs lead the county in family and community engagement programming, welcoming parents and encouraging involvement in their children’s learning.