Dear VCE Families,
It seems as though we will be skipping spring and going directly to summer this first week in May! As the weather warms up I would like to remind our families that while we do have fans in our classrooms, we ask your assistance in dressing children in cool, loose fitting clothing on warm days. Sandals are fine on days that students do not have P.E.; however they should be secured with a strap around the ankle. Flip flops present a danger as students tend to walk out of them. Sometimes a student will accidentally step on the back of another student’s flip flop and this can cause injury. Sneakers are still required on P.E. days. A water bottle on warm days is helpful as well so that students can stay hydrated. We now have two water fountains that may be used to refill thermoses or water bottles throughout the day. Your assistance in keeping our students safe is greatly appreciated. Together we can ensure the best possible environment for learning.
Secondly, as the weather gets warmer, children often ask if they can use the playgrounds after school. The small playground in the front of the school may be used after all the busses have departed. The larger playground in the rear of the school may be used after 6:00 pm as this is reserved for our after-school Beyond the Bell program. Any organized sports team (soccer, little league, etc.) is required to obtain a permit from our district office to practice or play on our fields. Please visit the district website www.nyackschools.org and click on the “Departments” tab at the top of the page. Then click on the link titled “Facilities Use” for details.
Finally, I’d like to remind our VCE families of the following events in May and June:
- May 15th Nyack Public Schools Budget and Trustee Vote
- May 23-25 Grade 4 NY State Science Performance Assessment
- May 24- Grade 3 Concert 9:30 am
- June 1, 4-5, Kindergarten Screening by appointment
- June 7- Grade 1-2 Concert VCE Gym 9:30 am
- June 9- VCE PTA Color Run 9:00 at McCalman Field
- June 11- Grade 4-5 Concert at the High School 7:00 pm
- June 12-15- PTA Used Book Fair
- June 15- Kindergarten Moving Up Ceremony 9:30 am
- June 20- Early dismissal 11:45 am
- June 21- Grade 5 Moving Up Ceremony 9:30 am
- June 21- Early Dismissal 11:45 am
- June 22- Last day of school dismissal at 10:00 am
As the school year winds down, we look forward to seeing our VCE families at many of our upcoming events. Thank you for sharing your children with us each day.
Mrs. Gina Cappiello, Principal