Message from the Principal: Mrs. Gina Cappiello
Dear VCE Families,
Each month since the start of school we have taken time to teach and focus on one of our Seven C’s. We will return to the two remaining C’s- Content Mastery and Critical Thinking in March and April.
As February is Random Act of Kindness month, we will focus on kindness—something our world can always use more of. In school, we will point out kindness in choices made by our students as well as identifying this trait in the literature being read. We will be discussing what it means to choose kindness and to do the right thing- especially when no one is watching. We will be asking children to take the “Kindness Challenge” making kindness a habit by consciously choosing one kind thing to do every day at home and at school. Here’s a list of 50 acts of kindness to get started and promote thinking. Most cost little or no money at all. These acts will be appreciated by the recipients and will also warm the hearts of our children. Please consider having your child keep a journal of their acts of kindness and how they felt while doing them. I hope you will consider joining in on this activity with your children.
Acts of Kindness for Children and Families
- Put change in a vending machine.
- Hold the door open for someone.
- Do a chore for someone without them knowing.
- Tell a joke.
- Return someone’s cart at the store.
- Feed the birds.
- Leave a happy note for a friend or neighbor.
- Put a small bin in your car to collect recycling.
- Call your grandparents or other relatives and ask them about their childhood.
- Pick up litter.
- Let someone go ahead of you in line.
- Compliment a friend.
- Write a thank you note.
- Plant something.
- Bake dessert for a neighbor
- Walk dogs at the animal shelter.
- Check in on an elderly neighbor.
- Send a cardto a service member.
- Set the table for dinner.
- Leave bubbles on someone’s doorstep.
- Tell someone why they are special to you.
- Donate outgrown clothes or toys.
- Pass out stickers to kids waiting in line.
- Talk to someone new at school.
- Invite someone to play with you who has no one to play with.
- Shovel snow for a neighbor.
- Donate food to the food pantry.
- Tape change to a parking meter.
- Donate socks and supplies to the homeless shelter.
- Call a friend you haven’t seen in a while to say hello.
- Take treats to the fire station.
- Read a book to someone.
- Donate a book to a doctor’s office waiting room.
- Tell someone how much you love them.
- Say hello to everyone you see.
- Make someone else’s bed.
- Hold the door open for someone.
- Turn off the water while brushing your teeth.
- Help make dinner.
- Make a get well card for someone.
- Bring your neighbors’ garbage cans up for them.
- Take care of someone’s pet while they’re away.
- Share a special toy with a friend.
- Clean up your room without being asked.
- Say thank you to your bus driver.
- Give spare change to the food pantry.
- Give someone a hug coupon.
- Donate coloring books and crayons to the children’s hospital.
- Clean up your toys without being asked.
- Smile at everybody.It’s contagious.
Thank you for sharing your children with us each day!
All the best,
Mrs. Gina Cappiello, Principal
Spotlight on VCE
Upcoming Events (scroll through)
D dayValley Cottage School
A dayValley Cottage School
ELA STARS 7:35-8:35amValley Cottage School
MATH STARS, 7:35am-8:35amValley Cottage School
B dayValley Cottage School
Good to Know
- If your child is to be absent, it is very important to notify the school early in the morning. All students must be accounted for first thing. It is the parent responsibility to call the school. Thank you.
- If sick, please direct dial the nurse, 353-7290. If not ill but absent/late, please dial the office, 353-7280.
- Changes in dismissal must be in writing. Do not email changes. Please send a note to the teacher the morning of the change. Any changes not in writing must be called in to the office before 3pm.
Need to Know
To contact offices directly, please use the following phone numbers:
Main Office (845) 353-7280
Main Office fax 353-7287
(you may dial direct to report illness absence)
Voice Mail 353-7165 (follow prompts)
Family Resource Ctr 353-7291
Student hours: 8:50am-3:20pm
Late Pass must be obtained after 8:50am
We're here for you!
⇒ The PTA at Valley Cottage sponsors field trips and programs for students throughout the school year. For more information, please call PTA Co-Presidents. Visit VCE.PTA on Facebook for any PTA matters.
Our PTA website is at www.facebook.com/valleycottagePTA
Please contact the VCE PTA any time by speaking to an officer or any member, or by e-mailing your thoughts to: VCEPTAcommunications@gmail.com
Kristy Christiano (845) 323-1451 Email: email@example.com
Christine Edmonds (845) 548-7176 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The PTA vows to incorporate a management team approach, where all officers are included in planning and decision-making and duties are divided evenly across the team for greatest efficiency.
Please note the following program information: The PTA at Valley Cottage sponsors field trips and programs for students throughout the school year. Special assemblies are arranged to give our students an enriching cultural experience. Your support of the PTA and its programs is greatly needed. For further information, please view the PTA Directory for contact persons and numbers (to be updated soon).
⇒ We have a Family Resource Center in our building with Julie Kassel and Joanne Wallace as the Valley Cottage Coordinators. They can be reached at 353-7291. Please visit the center designed to meet the needs of the parents in our school. Or click on the Family Resource Center Quick Link, located on this page.
⇒ The JCC-Beyond the Bell of Rockland conducts an after-school child care program until 6:00PM daily. For more information, please call Monica Rosenbaum, JCC, Director of Children’s Programs, at (845) 362-4400 ext.111.