Welcome to our Valley Cottage Elementary Music Program
Kindergarten through Second Grade
Music at Valley Cottage Elementary is based on a k-5 curriculum. Children in K-2 explore a variety of rhythm instruments, learn basic elements of singing, fundamental musical concepts and participate in hands on activities and musical games in a nurturing and fun way. We are a singing school and we start our day with a patriotic song and the day of the week song in our morning program. Different themes , holidays and events are often discussed in our morning program with follow through in the music classroom so that we have our entire student body and faculty involved on a daily basis. The underlying theme of it all is that music is suppose to be fun and enjoyed by all.
Third through Fifth Grade
The basic concepts taught in the primary grades are enhanced in grades 3-5. In third grade, children learn to play the recorder setting the foundation for learning to play a more sophisticated instrument if they choose in fourth grade. We begin a music journal in third grade and continue writing in our journal through fifth grade. Brief homework assignments also begin in third grade and turning homework in on time is important due to our 4 day cycle. All students participate in our school concerts and starting in third grade those concerts are held in the evening at the High School . Please see important dates for concert times.
2017-2018 Important Dates
- December 20th - Concert for grades 1&2, 9:30 a.m. at VCE
- January 18th - Concert for grades 3-5, 7:00 p.m. at High School
- February TBA - Concert for Kindergarten
- March 2-3rd - County Music Festival
- March 28th - Chorus Day for 4th garde
- May 24th - Concert for 3rd grade
- June 1st - Bridges performance for 5th grade
- June 7th - Concert for grades 1&2, 9:30 a.m. at VCE
- June 11th - Concert for grades 3-5, 7:00 p.m. at High School
(845) 353-7280 Ext # 6123